Skip to content
TIPS FOR DRIVING IN FREEZING RAIN & ON GLARE ICE
Nov 3, 2020
- If you don’t have to drive, don’t.
(But if you do…..)
- Reduce speed. Be smooth. Drive like there’s eggs between your feet & the pedals. Do not make any sudden moves. Gently apply the brakes and accelerator.
- Leave lots of distance between you and the vehicle in front of you. (At least 3 times more then you usually would). Rather then using the brakes, ease off the accelerator when possible.
- Give yourself extra time to get to your destination. Be patient. Don’t pass.
- See and BE seen. Turn your headlights on
- Plan Ahead. If you know a steep hill or sharp curve is coming up, back off the accelerator before you get to it.
- If your windshield is icing up, put defrost on as high and hot as it will go.
- Do NOT use cruise control. This may be obvious to many, but it’s not to everyone.
- Bridge decks, Intersections, Overpasses, on/off ramps & Range Roads/Side roads will get icy first. Take extra care in these places even if the highways seem fine.
- Focus. All your attention must be on the road and your surroundings. Try not to be tense and do not death grip the steering wheel.